Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Happy Birthday Zachary!!!!

Wow! It's hard to believe the guy in that picture will be "officially" 11 years old in about 20 minutes! Exactly 11 years ago tonight, I was in a hospital room at Methodist Germantown, waiting to be induced. I remember it very well...it was a Wednesday night...Charles and I went to Buntyn for dinner, then checked into the hospital by 9 p.m. I remember putting on the hospital gown and feeling scared out of my mind! I felt like I was on a runaway train....all I could do was close my eyes and brace myself for what was about to happen. The next day went on forever (at least for me it did!). He wasn't born until 9:15 the next night. Our family still jokes that everyone else in the waiting room came and went and our family was the last to leave! I was so tired....they had just come in and "boosted" my epidural. I was feeling so nice and warm and numb....and then I had to push! Thirty minutes later I had my first little Christmas angel! I had spiked a fever just before he was born, which meant he had a fever too -- so he had to be whisked away for a bit to be seen about, but he was okay. In the midst of all that, my sweet nurse brought me a "lunchable" sandwich and a Diet coke. That was the best food EVER! I was famished! To this day, a Lunchable has never tasted so good!

We became a family of three that day, and the dynamics of our marriage changed forever -- for the good of course! We immediately were at the mercy of this tiny little person, who let us know when we could sleep, when we could eat, where we could go, and when we could go! At the same time, we learned that it really was possible to love someone else with all your heart...to be in awe of another human being was an incredible feeling! This was our tiny little miracle...yes...a miracle. I had a smooth pregnancy, but in my eyes, EVERY baby is a miracle of God and His handiwork...all the little fingers and toes and sighs and coos are amazing every day!

In eleven years, Zachary has grown into an incredible young man. I love his sense of humor, his gentle heart, his compassion, his love for the Lord and willingness to serve Him. He is a really cool kid...and I love spending time with him. I am so proud to call him my son.....I love you Zachary - and I pray you will continue to follow the Lord and grow stronger in your walk with Him. Happy Birthday Bud!

No comments: