Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Weekend To Remember


That is exactly what this past weekend was. We went to Aventura Spa Palace in the Myan Riviera Sat.-Tues. It was the perfect way to spend our anniversary. Charles' dad actually won this trip, but wasn't able to go, so he gave it to us. It was all inclusive....we even had free calls to the U.S. from our room (which is needed when you are checking up on 4 kids!) The only thing we had to pay for was our shopping excursion in Playa Del Carmen - and the dr. visit to our room the first night. Charles had been battling sinus problems before we left, and the descent from the plane when we landed did him in. The first night he was up at 2 a.m. basically in tears because his ears hurt so bad. The last time I saw him in that bad of shape was when he was in the hospital for his diverticulitis. Anyway - this place was so awesome - they have a dr. on call 24/7...he was at our room in 15 minutes - examined Charles - gave him 2 shots and some pills and 20 minutes after he was gone Charles was snoozing away. Drugs are a beautiful thing! The dr. said if he wasn't any better, to call him and he would come back at no charge. This place was incredible. You can see pics of the trip on my Facebook page. (Let me throw this in -- I'm sure everyone knows the mark-up is outrageous in Mexico. At the airport, they had a little snack area for sandwiches, drinks, and Pringles. Guess how much 2 can drinks and a can of Pringles cost........$10! We didn't pay that -- I'd rather go hungry - but others did!)

Anyway - like I said - this was our anniversary and I have done a lot of thinking over the past few days. It makes me laugh to think of how we started out in our little one bedroom apartment (that I could vacuum entirely from one outlet) and have grown to a family of 6 in a house that is now bursting at the seems! We are by no means perfect, but I so love my husband and am grateful to God for bringing us together. We have had funny moments (oh so many of them!), sad moments, scary moments, worrisome moments, etc., but each "moment" has made us stronger. I have always said that he is the only person who could be married to me and not divorce me! I blame it on OCS...."Only-Child-Syndrome". We have learned that we have to make an effort to make time for "us". With 4 kids and our crazy schedule, that is near impossible, but somehow we manage. We have learned to rely on the "little" things. We joke that we are rare because we actually LIKE each other and like to do things together. I want to share the things that I love about Charles...the things that make him so special to me:

1) He loves his family. Charles is 100% hands-on with his kids. With my work schedule, I am gone 3 nights out of the week, so that is 3 nights he is home alone with 4 kids and having to manage homework, dinner, sometimes karate, baths, and bedtime. There aren't many men who would do that - or at least be good at it!

2) I love how he will do little things to show me he thinks of me. On days he comes home and knows I am driving his car the next day, he'll set the CD player to my favorite CD, or he'll send me an e-card for no reason. He doesn't hesitate to make me feel special.

3) He is always quick to compliment if he thinks I look nice, or even on dinner (when I am able to cook!)

4) He voluntarily helps out around the house. He will give the girls a bath while I do dishes or vice-versa. I never have to ask him to help me.

5) He has no problem with me having a "girls night" every now & then - even when I am gone other nights of the week.

6) He has a tender heart and is soft-spoken. He never yells and never talks down to me.

7) He has the best arms in the world! When he hugs me, it is the best part of my day!

8) His "oh well" attitude is so comforting. We had a "situation" while we were on our trip and his response was "let's go get dessert" - rather than wringing his hands together and freaking out. Now I know where Josh gets it!

9) He is great at making me see the "other side of the story". If I get upset about something he'll say, "Well, from their perspective, they probably meant......"

10) I love how he hums in the shower.

11) He'll bring home Nestle Tollhouse ice-cream cookies when he has to make a night trip to Wal-Mart!

12) He will sew his own button or iron his own shirt. I would do it if he asked, but he has no problem doing it himself if I'm not home.

13) He makes the BEST lasagna, cheesecake, and oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies!

14) He still opens my door for me.

15) We ALWAYS end a phone conversation with "I Love You". Even if he is miffed with me, he'll still say it! :-)

16) He'll bring me flowers "just because".

17) He works hard. He has a full-time job and still works for his dad. It stinks sometimes, but he still does it.

18) His kids and his family come first. Sometimes his dad has a problem with him taking off to go to a game or karate tournament. I think he is just jealous because he sees Charles doing what he should have been doing 30 years ago.

19) He is quick to help out a friend or neighbor.

20) He is the most patient person I know. I don't know how he does what he does!

21) He'll give me his "crispy" part of his fish and take my "thicker" part. (I don't like thick fillets!)

22) He knows that I like honey mustard with my onion rings, lemon in my tea/water, no jalepenos on my " Spud Ole", and my eggs hard scrambled.
23) He'll arrange for the kids to go to his moms so we can have a "date" every now & then!

24) He decorates an amazing Christmas tree. I am not the creative one here...he is so good at that kind of stuff!

25) He is faithful. Enough said.

I could go on but I'm sure you are tired of reading about why I am so in love with him. I love him for the big things as well as the little things. I can't wait to see where the next 12 years leads us!

No comments: