Wednesday, December 24, 2008

...and the children were nestled all snug in their beds....

...and mom & dad aren't far behind!  Sarah & Ava passed out almost immediately.  Amazing how missing that afternoon nap makes for an early bedtime!  We spent the afternoon/evening at my cousin's house and then left to go look at Christmas lights.  I was cracking up at Zachary & Josh singing "Feliz Navidad" - well - TRYING to sing!  Then they got into some theological discussion about Jesus being God.  I was amazed at the "stillness" of everything.  Stores were closed, traffic was light....it was like it was the middle of the night! By the time we got home and the kids discovered the pjs that were "left" for them (see previous post), excitement ensued so we once again had to wind down - but that didn't take very long!  Sarah still doesn't really "get" Christmas, but she is beside herself with the thought of opening presents!  The pajamas alone nearly put her over the top - I can only imagine what tomorrow will be like!

I tried to remember what my Christmases were like at Zachary & Josh's age.  I think when I was 10, I got a tape recorder and a guitar.  Actually those came from my grandparents.  When I was 7, one thing I remember getting was a --- you are so going to laugh -- a "J.J." doll.  I mean "J.J." from the show "Good Times"!  You pull a string and he would say 'Dy-no-mite"!  Really - I am dead serious!  I know I got lots of other things, but those are the things that stick out in my mind.  I was an only child - it didn't take much to amuse me!

Tomorrow morning will be a blast!  Sarah will be the most fun to watch.  Her theme this year is Dora.  Ava is still borderline Elmo - but she likes Dora too.  Josh would be happy with a ball of yarn and Zachary's stash is just a hodge-podge.  He is so hard - he's very particular and really never asks for anything.  Charles & I were examining everything and thought it really looked bare - but everything is so small.  We honestly didn't go all out - there is no need to and we really don't want our kids to expect it.  They have 2 uncles (plus other family) who spoil them greatly - which is fine!  I think all kids deserve to have someone who will go all out for them.  Uncle Danny & Uncle Randy are extremely creative and put lots of time and thought into their gifts.  I am so grateful my kids have them!  They love their uncles and love spending time with them!

I hope all of my friends and family have a blessed Christmas.  I am in awe of how blessed I am this season.  I have no doubt there will be some serious changes in our family next year (no - I am NOT pregnant!) but for right now - this moment - under this roof is my best friend and 4 little rays of sunshine who mean more to me than anything else in the world.  I have everything I could ever want this Christmas.  God has been so good to me.  Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments: