Saturday, June 13, 2009

So How Did YOU Weather Out The Storm??

So here I go - thinking we were just going to make a quick trip to Target, when we ended up having to hide out in the women's dressing room! I learned last time that if I get the girl's 2 small ICEE's, that will keep them occupied long enough for me to shop. My girl's are NOT basket babies...they don't care to be confined! Shopping? - oh yes! Just don't confine them! They prefer to be free spirits who roam aimlessly around the store without adult supervision. That is of course - unless their mother fills them up with empty sugar calories! Ava is hilarious -- she sits in the basket - straw in mouth - inhaling that ICEE until she reaches the bottom. I don't know how she doesn't get a brain freeze!

I digress....back to the storm. I was almost ready to go when I heard the rain start. You know if you hear it raining from inside the store, it is REALLY raining! Then, I hear the tornado sirens....uh oh..... Josh comes around the corner right in front of me - eyes big as saucers. He's borderline freaking out. Zachary quickly picks up on this and starts downplaying the situation (as do I - he would have started bawling at the drop of a hat!) The girls? They are perfectly content with their ICEE's. Next, the Target personnel starts making a sweep of the store and asks everyone to move to the back of the store. I'm trying to stay away from everyone else b/c they are all talking about the "tornado" - one word Josh did NOT need to hear. At this point, the ICEE's are gone and the girls are ready to roam....what timing! I put Zachary in charge of Ava and let her & Sarah burn some energy. In a few minutes, all "women & children" started moving into the dressing room. Needless to say, my clan took up one whole dressing room. Zachary's job was to block the door so the girl's wouldn't escape. Not a problem though - they were fascinated with the little stool in the room, so they were perfectly happy climbing on that - for about 2 minutes, then I had to pull out various objects from my purse to entertain them....such as lipgloss, cell phone, pen & paper....WHATEVER! All the while - I had to keep reassuring Josh that all was well. I later started thinking, what would it take to actually freak ME out? Does the ceiling have to be ripped off for me to start to be concerned? I wasn't scared at all......hmmm....

So - after about 15 minutes (seemed like 5 hours) in the dressing room, we were given the "all clear" to check out and leave the store. By then the rain had stopped, but the drive home was very different from the drive going to Target! Sarah kept saying,"Mommy, we are safe in your car!" I don't know where that came from.....amazing what they pick up on. On the way home from karate (yes - they still had it!) we saw an awesome rainbow....a complete one at that...wow! I wish I had had my camera...I guess I am going to have to carry it in my purse - you never know when the perfect picture-taking opportunity will pop up!

1 comment:

Gale said...

This reminds me of when I use to go anywhere and everywhere with 4 kids in tow and nothing ever bothered me - EXCEPT STORMS! Kids are very perceptive and a lot smarter than we are when it comes to some things - don't you think?