Saturday, January 15, 2011

Something That Made Me Go Hmmmmm....

So, one day last week I was listening to KLOVE and the were doing the daily news stories.  They started off talking about the tragic shooting in Arizona last weekend and  the death of the nine-year old girl.  (BTW - wasn't she BEAUTIFUL??)  Anyway, the story immediately following was about the year anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti and how an infant who had survived 4 days in the rubble without food and water was able to meet her rescuers.  The baby's mom was quoted as saying that "God must have a something very special planned" for her baby.  That really kind of stung me.  I mean, I know it wasn't intended to sound this way, but to hear that on the heels of the story of the tragic shooting, it was almost as if this baby was saved because he/she was more special than the nine-year old who was callously gunned down.  Obviously I know that isn't true, but imagine what that would sound like to a non-believer, or even to this little girl's parents?  


Yet, how many times have we used that phrase in reference to someone else who had a brush with death?  I know I have used it - or thought it at least.  If you really think about it though, it isn't really true.  We ALL have special plans for our lives - given to us by God Himself.  The God I serve is not surprised by what happens here on earth.  He isn't up there scratching His head or wringing His hands wondering what He's going to do with all these rebel children!  :-)  That - my friends - is a huge comfort to know!


When Sarah was born, on her birth announcement, one of the verses we had printed was Psalm 139:16, "Your eyes saw me when I was formless; all my days were written in Your book and planned before a single one of them began."  He knows it all....our beginning...our end...and it isn't our place to try to figure it out.  I mean, you can try, but you really won't be able to.  Trying to figure out the "how's" or "why's" things happen to us or in our world can consume us or even make us bitter if we let them.  Our purpose is spelled out in vs. 14 of Psalm 139.  "I will praise You because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made."  THAT is our purpose...in the midst of all the tragedy surrounding us, it is our place  to praise Him.  Even on the days you don't feel like, JUST DO IT!  It will change your whole outlook..I promise!  :-)

1 comment:

Judith @ Creating Balance said...

good words rene. I so needed to hear that. love you.